background

Sunday, June 20, 2010

too much worship?

I woke early Sunday morning, threw on some shorts and a shirt and walked over to the dining hall to grab some breakfast. Although my ride to church was not scheduled to pick me up until 10:15, I was up by 7AM (since breakfast time only ran until 8 AM) It was very nice to have a leisurely Sunday morning after so many busy early mornings, I actually felt like I might be taking a Sabbath.
That feeling continued when Al and Allan picked up myself and 3 other delegates for worship at Madisson Square Church. Madisson Square is a very diverse Christian Reformed Church. People of every ethnicity, socio-economic status and family structure were represented. The service was warm, celebratory, and informal. Two of their female pastor's led the service. At sermon time they had a lay woman from Trinidad preaching. She was wonderful! I soon discovered the reason for the balloons on the stage when 2 adults were invited up to the front to be baptized. Prior to their immersions, each shared their story. One was a former gang member whose words I will not soon forget, "I used to serve the Latin Kings and now I serve the King of Kings." What an amazing reminder that in the midst of all this business, the church exists to go, make disciples, baptize and teach.
After worship Al and Allan took us out for lunch, a tour of the city, and finally over to tour the CRC office (It's WAY bigger than the RCA's in Grand Rapids.) Both Al and Allan worked for the CRC in church planting, and Allan continues in a denominational role with that, while Al in his retirement wrote "What does it mean to be a Christian?" He gave me a copy and I was thinking it may be a useful tool for membership classes.
Upon arriving back at Calvin's campus, we headed straight into our second worship service, this time with communion. Imagine, both sacraments in one day! It was a beautiful service where the was a dramatic enactment of the text. It was extremely moving. But even more exciting for me was before the service I met Carol. Carol has a passion for reader's theatre and story telling and has been published several times. It was a fun conversation as we shared our passion surrounding stories.
We had about 1 hour of free time after dinner, so I took a walk alone. Nice to have some time to myself... I know, but this extrovert is tired! I headed over to the chapel for a Taizé prayer service. What a perfect end to the day! I have never rested like that in a public worship service. It was restorative. It was peaceful.

So, Three worship services in one day. Is it too much? In my humble opinion, I could do that every day.

My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips. -Psam 63:5

1 comment: