background

Monday, June 21, 2010

Water



I know that I haven't written in a few days, but I was in need of getting some serious sleep at night (not that I've caught up). I'll just write a couple of highlights of the last two days in addition to today because I'm afraid that I won't get to the rest of today's events otherwise.
Monday's early-morning Bible study was followed by morning worship. The worship gathering focussed on baptism and our remembrance thereof. I was especially moved by the prayer of confession that we used and so I'll share it with you here:


Lord, we are dry and brittle,
we seek other sources of refreshment,
we neglect the well-spring within us.
Flood our barren spaces and drench our souls.
You are the fountain of life;
refresh us.
You are the cleansing spring;
renew us.
You are the well from which we drink and never thirst again;
revive us. Amen.

Following the worship, I attended a workshop focussing on water justice; the way things are woven together baffle. I do believe that I will avoid bottled water. In case you are interested in why check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0
Thinking about all the texts that talk about "living water" while thinking about the fact that in many places in the world potable water is not available to anyone but the rich. If I believe that the Living Water is available to all but fail to make actual drinking water available to all, am I not contradicting my understanding of the gospel which is that the gospel is about all of life, not just saving our souls. Thankfully, someone on the planning committee knew that we all needed to be able to drink water and so put stainless steel bottles in our bag.

May all the water you drink bring refreshment and let's be sure to share both kinds of water that bring life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for making the time to share with us. We don't usually buy bottled water, but after watching the clip you posted, we definitely won't anymore! And I love the prayer of confession - very fitting for where I'm at these days. I will be printing that one off for myself. Thanks again for sharing...you filled me up on a dry day. Love you! And I love those pics - you're so beautiful! Puts sunshine in my day! xo

    ReplyDelete