background

Thursday, August 26, 2010

summer camp

Well, the week is winding down for chaplaincy and so I wanted to post a couple of cool things that have happened this week.

Pick-up lines from Heather (maintenance chick)
Christina, can I take you out with the trash?
See all these keys? This one's the key to your heart.

On Sunday, when I arrived, I sensed a heaviness over the camp property. It felt as though a weight was placed on my shoulders. I waited until the reason came out last night in a conversation. It amazes me how God longs to bring reconciliation into all of our relationships, how God desires to transform our hearts to be quick to love and slow to grow angry, and how something as simple as praying with a brother or sister in Christ can change the entire atmosphere. Suffice to say that after a time of prayer last night this heaviness that had burdened me all week, lifted creating great opportunity for God to work last night.

A sweet, beautiful young woman taught me a lot about the nature of love, and how we need to look past all the physical traits to a person's heart. I've watched her make courageous choices and take brave steps that allow people to see her heart. May we all look past labels to the image of God that resides in each of us, loving people deeply and courageously.

Last night, after the revival service a group of teenage boys ran past yelling, "now that was a party!". I don't know if I've ever heard teenagers equate worship with a party, but... WOOHOO!

I've spent some time reflecting on the meaning of my own baptism this week and here are the summaries of the devotions that we've shared:
I choose no other Lord than the Maker of heaven and earth.
Today, I walk with Him, and He will walk with me.
I remember today, my baptism.
I recall that baptism calls me to confession and genuine repentance; that the water is like a cleansing bath for my sin-stained soul.
I remember that in baptism the old me is buried, and that I am raised to life, true Christ-filled life.
I proclaim that in baptism I am a member of the one body of Christ.
I recognize, as I recall my baptism, the weakness of my flesh and my need for the fire of the Holy Spirit.
I remind myself, as I remember my baptism, that I am a citizen of the kingdom of heaven, and no dark valley or demon may take that citizenship away from me.

That's it for today... don't want to miss any opportunity to hang out with an image bearer of the King!

No comments:

Post a Comment