background

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Come to the Streets with Jesus!

And so, day 2 arrives. All too early the alarm clock begins it's wake up, I have not slept enough. Last night's heat made sleep virtually impossible and I spent most of the night tossing and turning. Not a great way to begin the first full day of this crazy adventure. I was scrambling to get ready this morning, but I had breakfast with a Bishop from a church in the Philippine's who shared with me about the many church leaders from his country, his friends, who have been killed for their faith. As I reflect on that moment now I have never felt so compelled to pray for the persecuted church. This brother's eyes welled with tears as he shared their struggle. God forgive my self-absorption, those times where I've failed to understand that your body continues to struggle throughout the world, lacking freedom and privilege that I take for granted.

Breakfast with the Bishop was followed by worship with the women's precouncil, 200 women from every region of the world worshipping in one room. A Malawian sister taught the following song, which is my life's goal, the words are "Fanana naye Yesu" simply translated this beautiful call and response implores us to "be like Jesus". Following some of the most beautiful and lively music I've ever sung (I'm convinced I heard a little piece of heaven), Calvin College's chaplain preached, and wow did she ever! I've never heard a woman preach and thought to myself I want to sound like her, but WOW! She engaged the narrative of the resurrection in powerful and creative ways and wrapped it all up by challenging us to be like Mary Magdalene and declare that the tomb is empty, regardless of results, regardless of ridicule. It's our job to proclaim the resurrection every where we go!

As the worship service wrapped up, we boarded buses for a tour of the inequity that can be seen in Grand Rapids and surrounding area. I love how our African sisters kept saying, "where is this poverty?" Our perspectives are so different. Granted, we in North America have a great disparity in the distribution of resources, and I believe that this situation will worsen as the middle class disappears, still, our poor are well off compared to the poverty that exists in other parts of the world. We lunched at a church in downtown Grand Rapids which offers a variety of services to the homeless in their community, including lunch. I was seated next to a woman who is a Lebanese elder. We had an incredible conversation about the implications of Islamic law on domestic violence and I recognize my privilege at being born and raised in a country and by parents who didn't treat me like property. She is a wonderful woman who rejoiced as she shared that the reformed churches of the middle east have formally recognized women's gifts and callings, even to all ordained offices. This wonderful warm, funny sister currently serves on the executive for the World Alliance of Reformed Churches.

The afternoon culminated in a visit to an art gallery/studio that acts as a day program for people who are homeless. I met Joe there at Heartside gallery. Joe is a saxaphone player (tenor and soprano) and a fabulous artist. He's funny, gracious, gentle, and as he gave me a personal tour through the gallery, he shared about his homelessness. As he spoke a smile always graced his lips and his dark eyes twinkled. He asked if I knew where Rice Lake was, and when I said that I did he said that he wants to go fishing there... I really hope someday he gets to.

As the day comes to a close, I spend hours talking with my room mate Barbara about her call story, and in her story I find elements of my own... a family heritage which includes an unfilled call, surprise when the call came, and the desire to run. It's been refreshing to talk with Barbara, and I think that each time I think about and talk about call it refines it a little bit more clearly.

Today ends with thoughts of empty tombs and a fierce desire to be a woman who declares it in what I think, say, and do. Fanana naye Yesu!

No comments:

Post a Comment