background

Monday, June 14, 2010

God's coincidences?


It's been a busy first day at the Women's Pre-Council, for the World Communion of Reformed Churches. I had no idea what I was getting myself into... I showed up at Calvin College last night, knew no one, and was quickly overwhelmed by the scope of what I was here for. I tell you, my stomach was tied in butterfly knots. On top of it I had just spent several hours shopping and was feeling a little frazzled by that whole process. (It's never a good idea to go shopping just before the clothes are needed, however I purchased enough clothing for the whole council) At least I'll look good while not knowing what I'm doing!

Monday night the first women I met were three Canadian Presbyterian women, one from Halifax, one from Sarnia, and one from Leamington... she lives on the same street and knows a family from our church. The two Ontario women will be returning home after the precouncil, so my new Leamington friend will be leaving. As I left my building, I met Dr. Soumini Jayan a woman from the Church of South India who has a plethora of letters behind her name. She is a wonderful woman who has said that I must stay with her when I visit India. She is a wise woman whose contribution to the church includes deep and meaningful involvement in social justice in her context. I sat with Soumini while she ate and she told about her lengthy journey to Grand Rapids, which included a missed connection.

After a brief introduction to the precouncil (which I was late for because I chose to remain with Soumini), we retired to our dormitories. Being June in west Michigan, the weather is hot and humid and our unairconditioned dorm was unbearably hot.
Met my suite mate tonight, a lovely pastor and pastor's wife from Pasadena. I will have to pick her brain to see how her call to ministry and their joint pastoral call have played out. Long day, little sleep, lots of nerves BUT Holland won, I've got a place to stay in India, I got some fabulous new clothes, and have had the pleasure of meeting some fabulous women from around the world.

A final thought for today...
Here am I, Lord,
I've come to do Your will.
Here am I, Lord,
in Your presence I'm still.

No comments:

Post a Comment