background

Friday, June 18, 2010

work and wcrc

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) and the Reformed Ecumenical Council (REC) became one new body the World Communion of Reformed Churches. The day began with the dissolution of the two organizations: WARC and REC, so 2 meetings before 10 AM... this was just the beginning. There was a brief coffee break and opening worship began. I had been invited to be in the processional, so I got my ribbons and waved them while I danced my way in to the plenary hall. Although I was very uncomfortable with the whole processional idea, someone from the podium came to me after and said that I just looked so happy as I processed, it must have been my new green dress :)
After opening worship the real work began, we spent nearly 6 hours working on the constitution and bylaws of the new World Communion. One full hour of that discussion was the issue of equal representation of women at the General Council (the meeting I'm at). I'm very grateful for the men who saw this as a justice issue and spoke out to support increasing the percentage of women required from 33% to 50%. I would not classify myself as a feminist, however some of large delegations bring only one "token" woman and the larger church body does not then fully receive the gifts and perspectives of women at the table.
OOOh, also today there were greetings brought by the local native american tribal leaders. There were some extremely moving moments of confession from the World Communion. After hearing greetings, several of the WCRC leaders presented the tribal leaders with a sword and the end of the sword had been fashioned into a "plow share", but then more powerful by far was when one of the tribal leaders gave the medallion that had been in his family since they signed the peace treaty with the American government (they got it in exchange for all their land) to the WCRC. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house as we saw incredible grace come from people that we have taken advantage of since we came to these lands. We have much work to do in bringing reconciliation and healing to our own First Nations people. On that note, I've been spending some time with Mary, a First Nations pastor with the Presbyterian Church in Canada. She is a warm, gentle woman who ministers to the First Nations community in Vancouver bringing healing and working for justice.
**Tonight on my way into the dining hall, I overheard part of a conversation between two native Americans. "Yes, I know they said a lot of nice words, we'll see after this week if they mean it."
Oh God, let us not deny you by our actions. Give us wisdom and courage to work for justice on behalf of all indigenous peoples. Show us pathways of healing and reconciliation in our communities and cultures. Give us grace to do what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment