background

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One Thing

So, it's been a while. I've never been really great at maintaining a daily journal, and lately I've found myself consumed with the stuff of everyday. I've gotten bogged down in daily details like laundry, but also in sermon writing, vacationing, visiting, and most of all pursuing (or trying to figure out how to pursue) my dream of going to seminary.
The last several months have been interesting, I've swung back and forth on the idea of ordination, and repeatedly tried to figure out which school, how, when why. The struggle has been, well, a struggle. There's no denying the call, but how do I best live out the particular call on my life. My desire has been, and continues to be to help people pursue God in their own unique way. Helping individuals and groups to hear the Spirit, and encouraging them to respond in obedience.
I’ve decided on a school – Tyndale, in Toronto, offers a Master of Divinity with an emphasis in Spiritual Formation. The program seems to fit what I want to do very well, offering in addition to the MDiv, a certificate in spiritual direction (with the completion of 500 hours of supervised directing). Just thinking about it makes me excited. The problems begin when I start asking the basic questions: when, why, how. Once more I find myself bogged down in details.
I believe that the dream/desire is a gift. Yesterday, I discovered that if I make the pursuit of that dream my focus, I have removed my focus from the ONE THING that I preached about recently. How do I balance this? What do I do?
Oh Lord, make me singular in my focus. Help me to seek your kingdom first. Develop in me a hunger and a passion for you, not merely your gifts. I trust you with my dreams and desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment